We are looking for a unique and talented individual with extensive design experience that will be responsible for leading and participating in product research and design projects for our clients with a design centric representation in the business development process. This position will report directly to the Director of Design, Radius Chicago with significant and collaborative interaction with members of the engineering, human factors, and business development teams.
In addition, this individual will take part in directing design projects, collaborate on design programs with leadership oversight and hands-on design work, and facilitate and lead client workshops. This is a highly visible and dynamic position whose focus will be on Radius site specific and global organizational initiatives.
- Establish and maintain hands on involvement with product development programs and design department standards that ensure design excellence
- Conceptualize ways of providing new and improved value to our customers by translating marketing requirements into compelling product solutions
- Participate in the business development process where you will take part in identifying our design service target list, set up meetings, write proposals, & make client presentations
- Assist in the management of research and design budgets
- Participate in site branding and market segment initiatives
- Contribute to the creative culture and provide a proactive contribution to the strategic direction of Radius
- Mentor and lead junior designers, guide projects, inspire through example, infuse design passion, and help build a strong internal team
- Establish and maintain a set of design department standards to ensure excellence
- Contribute and articulate knowledge and experience in design and strategy to product development projects offering strong visual and verbal story-telling skills to emotionally connect concepts with user and market desires
- Maintain a high standard of customer service and professional guidance
- Promote a culture of pride, passion, and integrity
- Collaborate with leadership team to create business plans and proposals
- Bachelors in Industrial Design; Master’s degree preferred but not required
- 8-10 years of experience as a practicing designer with a focus on product design
- 3 to 5 years managing design and product development programs in a collaborative team effort
- A history of developing products with multi-disciplinary teams (including Mechanical Engineering, Research, Human Factors, and Manufacturing) from inception (marketing direction) to production
- Experience developing electro-mechanical products
- A strong knowledge of injection molding and plastics
- Involvement in developing a combination of high volume components/products and mid-complex product assemblies
- The timely preparation of accurate, well-planned program proposals and estimates
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
This role requires an individual who demonstrates flexibility in the consulting subject matter in which they need to operate and yet has a polished, not over-bearing, delivery style. More specifically, the candidate will have the following skills:
- Ability to lead in a highly collaborative and team-oriented environment
- A strong understanding of product design strategy and design execution. Experience in leading creative direction of projects, firm understanding of consumer needs, branding, technology and manufacturing methods while delivering world class design
- Excellent portfolio and highly developed design skills, including 3D modeling experience. Experience designing for consumer technology, medical, life-sciences, or consumer packaging industries a plus
- Ability to relate to and mentor individuals and nurture talent
- Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong creative / conceptual skills
- Ability to manage multiple project teams in parallel
- Motivated, takes initiative, and excels at motivating others
- Provide direction, vision and planning throughout the duration of a project.
- Professional in manner and appearance
- Strong Team Player
- Excellent command of spoken and written communication
- Strategic thinker, logical and methodical, results-driven
- Flexibility and adaptability of approach, focused on finding a workable solution to every problem
- Ability to “see the big picture” when meeting the customers’ needs
- Sound judgment
- Ability to resolve conflict
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong leadership qualities, collaborative work ethic and a great sense of humor
Radius is an award-winning firm that develops products from design through manufacturing for top clients in the consumer, healthcare, industrial, and packaging markets. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, and fun environment with excellent salary and benefits.
Interested in applying? Submit your resume by clicking here. You will be directed to apply for this Radius position at Jabil.com, our corporate partner’s website.
Jabil is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.