Radius has evolved a unique consulting model that combines inspired user experience design with deep technical horsepower and expertise in design for manufacturability. We work with the world’s leading companies, helping them create and bring to market meaningful products and solutions that improve experiences and enhance lives. We help our clients bridge the difficult divide between concept and commercialization.Our clients come to us to help navigate the growing demand and complexity of converging technology, business models, and user expectations. We’re established in the Internet of Things, Digital Lifestyle, Connected Health, and Smart Cities, among others convergent spaces, yet have two decades of experience working across a broad spectrum of industries. We provide focused market, technology, and development expertise in consumer, commercial/industrial, brand packaging, and healthcare markets.
At Radius, our secret ingredient is our people. We hire talented individuals with a passion for delivering results who know how to design, develop, and deliver products that are better than anything on the market today. We build multidisciplinary teams of product strategists, researchers, designers, human factors specialists, engineers, and quality and manufacturing experts who thrive on solving our clients’ most complex challenges.
The Director of Research and Human Factors will oversee and manage the growth, productivity, mentorship, and technical capabilities of the research group for the Radius Clinton office. This individual is responsible for the technical and professional development of researchers, proactively contributing in the strategic direction of the firm, growing new and existing clients, and collaborating with other research leaders in the development of the research practice and quality of deliverables. This position reports to the managing director for the Clinton office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualize ways of providing new and improved value to our customers
- Contribute research knowledge and experience to product development projects
- Maintain a high standard of customer service and professional guidance
- Participate in soliciting new customers, manage and nurture existing accounts
- Promote a culture of pride, passion, and integrity
- Maintain performance reviews, professional development training, and compensation administration for the research team
- Establish and maintain a set of research department standards to ensure research excellence
- Plan and allocate the manpower of the research group, matching the capability of the staff to project requirements and ensuring that the staff gets a variety of experience and is challenged to exercise their individual skills and abilities
- Collaborate with leadership team to create business plans and proposals
- Manage research department budget
- Oversee the productivity and well-being of the research group
- Recruit candidates for open positions and interview, evaluate and make recommendations to management for hires and terminations
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 8 to 10 years of experience as a practicing researcher with focus in user research, product design, human factors
- 3 to 5 years of experience managing people
- Research/Design Strategy / Human Factors program management experience
- A history of developing products with multidisciplinary teams and leading research, human factors, and/or product strategy teams from product inception (marketing direction) to production
- Demonstrable experience developing and applying innovative ways of collecting and analyzing data to uncover and describe new product opportunities, categories, features, experiences, and innovations
- Experience leading research programs to investigate user workflow, goals, tasks, and experiences as well as explore consumer needs, emotive responses, expectations, and beliefs
- Leadership in defining methods and processes to guide product definition, human factors, and strategy by utilizing and integrating multiple information sources (field work, web surveys, brand strategy, or market literature) while working closely with marketing teams, product strategists, designers, engineers, model makers, and interaction designers
- Experience working with consumers and designers to evaluate concepts and existing products on the market for improvement opportunities, developing design recommendations and requirements documentation
- Collaborate with clients to understand their needs for research / human factors and to leverage their domain and product knowledge
- Communicate the results of studies (either in the field or the lab) in compelling ways that permit the team and our clients to take action
- Understanding of usability / human factors testing, methodologies, and basic statistical analyses
- Demonstrated knowledge of usability and HF/E standards and guidelines
- Excellent analytical, writing, and presentation abilities
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and with multiple efforts running concurrently
- 10+ years of professional experience in research, product development, or related fields
- Experience with contextual research methods, interviewing, survey development, observational research, usability testing, heuristic analyses, formative/summative usability studies, and other qualitative and quantitative methods for collecting consumer needs and understanding experiences
- Ability to plan and schedule quantitative and qualitative research studies in an organized and detailed manner while being able to adapt to changes in program schedule and scope
- BS minimum, MS strongly preferred in anthropology, sociology, human factors, psychology, cognitive science, ergonomics, marketing, design, or product strategy
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and familiarity with drawing or layout programs such as Adobe Illustrator/InDesign, familiarity with image and video processing and editing software like Adobe Photoshop and Premiere a plus
- Familiarity in database and other data manipulation programs (e.g., SPSS), capacity to plan and conduct statistical analysis a plus
Radius is an award-winning firm that develops products from design through manufacturing for top clients in the consumer, healthcare, industrial, and packaging markets. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, and fun environment with excellent salary and benefits.
Interested in applying? Submit your resume by clicking here. You will be directed to apply for this Radius position at Jabil.com, our corporate partner’s website.
Jabil is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.