Radius is a global innovation and development consulting firm serving the healthcare, packaging, consumer, and commercial/industrial markets. At Radius, our secret ingredient is our people. We hire talented individuals with a passion for delivering results who know how to design, develop, and deliver products that are better than anything on the market today. We build multidisciplinary teams of product strategists, researchers, designers, human factors specialists, engineers, quality, and manufacturing experts who thrive on solving our clients’ most complex challenges for bringing successful products to market.
Join our award-winning team if you want to sharpen your skills and geek out on a variety of projects. It goes without saying: we offer a dynamic, fast-paced work environment with plenty of growth opportunities, excellent compensation, and benefits.
We are looking for a unique individual with extensive industrial and product design and development experience to become part of our creative culture. As an experienced design practitioner and creative thought leader working in our Hong Kong studio, you will help oversee and manage the growth, productivity, and design capabilities of the industrial design group and be responsible for their professional development. As part of the management team, you will proactively contribute to the strategic direction of Radius, growing new and existing clients, and the quality of the firm’s services and deliverables.
In partnership with the Managing Director, this position will lead the overall creative direction for the Hong Kong office offering innovative solutions and brand strategy through product design. You will direct creative efforts in programs and shape our design processes while working closely with our industrial design leads in other offices to further develop and advance Radius’s global design presence.
In addition, this individual will develop and strengthen client relationships, facilitate and lead client workshops, direct design projects, and collaborate on design programs with leadership oversight and hands-on design work.
This is a highly visible and dynamic position whose focus will be on Radius site specific and global organizational initiatives;
- Develop and deliver award-winning products that communicate visual brand language, usability, and success for market
- Demonstrate awareness of both global and regional trends and the ability to articulate design vision around these influences
- Contribute to the creative culture and build opportunities for the Radius/Jabil/Nypro relationships
- Mentor and lead junior and senior designers, guide projects, inspire through example, infuse design passion, and help build a strong internal team
- Participate in recruiting and hiring new members for the design team
- Establish and maintain a set of industrial design department standards to ensure excellence
- Conceptualize ways of providing new and improved value to our customers
- Contribute and articulate knowledge and experience in industrial design and strategy to product development projects offering strong visual and verbal story-telling skills to emotionally connect concepts with user and market desires
- Maintain a high standard of customer service and professional guidance
- Participate in soliciting new customers and manage and nurture existing accounts
- Promote a culture of pride, passion, and integrity
- Manage staff performance reviews and seek out opportunities for professional development
- Plan and allocate resources in the design group by matching the capabilities of staff to project requirements and ensuring that staff members get a variety of experience and are challenged to exercise their individual skills and abilities
- Collaborate with leadership team to create business plans and proposals
- Actively participate in business development activity and account management
- Bachelor’s in industrial design; master’s degree preferred but not required
- PMP is a plus
- 8-10 years of experience as a practicing designer with a focus on product design
- 3 to 5 years managing design programs, leading small teams and managing a design staff
- A history of developing products with multidisciplinary teams (including mechanical engineering, research, interaction, and manufacturing) and from inception (marketing direction) to production
- Experience developing electro-mechanical products
- A strong knowledge of injection molding and plastics
- Involvement in developing a combination of high volume components/products and mid-complex product assemblies
- The timely preparation of accurate, well-planned program proposals and estimates
- Experience with medical device development and accompanying regulation protocols
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
This role requires an individual who demonstrates flexibility in the consulting subject matter in which they need to operate and yet has a polished, not over-bearing, delivery style. More specifically, the candidate will have the following skills:
- Ability to lead in a highly collaborative and team-oriented environment
- Ability to relate to and mentor individuals and nurture talent
- Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to manage multiple project teams in parallel
- Motivated, takes initiative, and excels at motivating others
- Provide direction, vision, and planning throughout the duration of a project
- Professional in manner and appearance
- Strong team player
- Excellent command of spoken and written communication
- Strategic thinker, logical and methodical, results-driven
- Flexibility and adaptability of approach, focused on finding a workable solution to every problem
- Ability to “see the big picture” when meeting customers’ needs
- Sound judgment
- Ability to resolve conflict
- Strong attention to detail
- A strong understanding of product design strategy and design execution. Experience in leading creative direction of projects, firm understanding of consumer needs, branding, technology, and manufacturing methods while delivering world class design
- Excellent portfolio and highly developed design skills, including 3D modeling experience. Experience designing for consumer technology, medical, life-sciences, or consumer packaging industries a plus
- Strong leadership qualities, collaborative work ethic, and a great sense of humor
Radius is an award-winning design and innovation firm helping clients realize their brand strategy by designing compelling product solutions. Our teams engage in multiple markets, including consumer, medical, wearables, IoT, packaging, and converging markets.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their cover letter, resume, and salary requirements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.